Considering Joining the Bone Marrow Registry?
This time last year to the date we had just found out that a random bone marrow donor was found for Harvey. This, was huge! One more major step down and something else that would add a tiny increase to his already low odds of getting through the transplant. More hope we had!
Wednesday, October 6, 2010 12:46 PM, EDT – written by yours truly
Long, long day at Penn yesterday! Harv’s appointment was in the morning and we left around 7:00 last night. His hemoglobin was low and he needed a blood transfusion, so mostly waiting for blood, and hanging out in infusion. So if you have the opportunity to give blood, please do! Harv used up about two bags yesterday. :)So the conclusion from the appointment yesterday is that the Sprycel doesn’t seem to be working hard enough, to the point where it will bring Harvey back down to a Chronic, safer level. We are going to give it one more week – let’s all pray that something miraculous happens before next Tuesday! If not then he will be admitted into the hospital for about 3-4 weeks to receive traditional chemotherapy.On a good note… the donor seems to be all lined up. They found a 10 of 10 match, and a young donor – which is always more helpful. So thank GOD for this 19 year old male, somewhere out there in the US, who decided to join the bone marrow registry!!
I am still very thankful for whoever the guy was who decided to add himself to the Bone Marrow Registry, even though Harvey never got to use his stem cells… he still gave us hope.